Guy Griffiths Collection, 82 Centurion Road, Brighton, BN1 3LN
Tel: 44 (0)1435 813961
email: info@guygriffiths.co.uk

Julian Jane, the UK Lancia works manager during the Second World War, is seen at the wheel of a car that has been extensively altered. It has been ‘cut and shut', the engine has been modified and the body is non-standard.

Vincezo Lancia and his partner Claudio Fogolin set up the Lancia Company in Turin in 1906. They concentrated on building cars of exceptional balance and handling. All early Lancias were named after letters of the Greek alphabet.

The Lambda was introduced at the 1922 Paris Salon and built in a total of nine series before production finally ceased in 1932.

It was a very advanced design and featured an integral body and chassis, independent front suspension and a V4 engine.

The later Series 7 to 9 cars had larger-capacity, more powerful engines, but the earlier cars achieved 75 mph and handled well. During the production life of the Lambda about 13,000 were built.

British enthusiasts warmed to the Lambda. Engine specialists introduced modifications that boosted both engine speed and power.

To improve manoeuvrability it became common practice to reduce the wheelbase by cutting the chassis, removing a section and welding it back together.

AB20
J Jane - Lancia Lambda

Bisley
27th February 1949


£25

Lagonda Lambda Specification (standard Series 5)
Engine: 13-degree V4 push-rod overhead valve 2120 cc (75 x 120 mm) developing 49 bhp at 3250 rpm. Gearbox: 4-speed. Chassis: integral pressed steel chassis and main body panels with independent front suspension by sliding pillars and coil springs enclosed in cylinders and rear suspension by rigid axle suspended on semi-elliptical leaf springs. Wheelbase: l0ft 2in or llft 2.5in. Front and Rear track: 4ft 4.5in.
Unladen Weight: 26 cwt.

-